Saturday, November 1, 2008

Always A Dancer


At the Cecchetti International Classical Ballet Competition in Calgary this August, the Enrico Cecchetti Award went to Kirsten Marsh of Australia. Most Promising Dancer went to James Lyttle of Australia and Adjudicator's Choice went to Alexandra Potgieter of South Africa. Fifteen-year-old Mary Kate OSullivan from San Diego won the award for Musicality and Dynamics in Movement. OSullivan, who competed with a Paquita variation and a contemporary solo choreographed by Victor Wisehart, says, "With the confidence I got from winning, I feel like my dancing is better already." It was the first time she had ever entered a competition. She was especially excited to be awarded for her musicality. "It feels like a huge accomplishment to know that I'm expressing myself through the movement and the music," she says, "because that will get me far in the ballet world."

No comments: