Saturday, August 16, 2008

Early Bloomer


Here's an interview by with a young dancer from Club Pointe. What an inspiration she is for all dancers!

After taking class at Houston Ballet while visiting relatives in Texas this spring, 15-year-old Leighton Jordan of Duluth, Georgia, was invited to join Houston Ballet II. She's only the second 15-year-old in HB II's history to be offered a contract. She's headed to Houston this week, but first she made time to speak with Club Pointe.

How do you think starting so young will affect your career?
Starting early is giving me the opportunity to prepare for the future. This way I will be ready and have the discipline.Did you find yourself taking a different approach to your training now that you have a company position?Mostly I just work on pushing myself. At Metropolitan Ballet Theatre, my school at home, everything was very hands-on. Our teacher paid really close attention to you and made you work harder. This summer at San Francisco Ballet's summer intensive I had to learn to push myself. That was good preparation for me.

What are your concerns in terms of joining HBII?
My real concerns are just having questions, like even when I'm supposed to be there. We just found out we have to arrive a week earlier than we thought, so that was a surprise. I also have a lot of other questions--am I going to be understudying, dancing, etc.What are you most looking forward to?The training. Houston is definitely the next step up, I can't wait to have the company atmosphere and also to get pas de deux experience.

What is your dance dream?
Definitely American Ballet Theatre or the Royal Ballet.

If you could choose another career, what would it be?
I've always known I want to be a mom and I want to dance as long as possible. Eventually I also want to adopt a disabled child. What is your dance dream?Definitely American Ballet Theatre or the Royal Ballet.
Cari

6 comments:

Cari said...

Hi, I hope you'll stop by and leave a comment. Let's talk about dance!

Anonymous said...

Nice article. I wish I could have been contracted by a dance company at that young of an age!

Anonymous said...

She is not "contracted" by a dance company. HBII is part of the school, not a company.

Anonymous said...

Aw leighton!!! we all miss you at MBT!!!!

Anonymous said...

Leighton Jordan is a very talented beautiful dancer. From the first moment I saw her dance I was amazed at her age and giftedness. She moves your soul with her dance. She is a name to watch for...she will go far. She has a very strong work ethic and an inner beauty that shines! We miss you and wish you the very best.

Helen Hardt said...

What a lovely blog, Cari. I love the dance, too, but to watch, not to participate. (I don't think anyone would want to see that, LOL.)

I see you're new to blogging. I am, too. Thank you for supporting the release of my story on Kaye's blog. It's nice to meet you!

Helen
www.helensheroes.blogspot.com